I have big plans for this blog. I've been daydreaming about headers and backgrounds and how I want to present and catalog recipes. I'd like to give step-by-step instructions with pictures and even throw in the occasional video tutorial (butter flaking rolls anyone?). But obviously, it's all still imaginary at this point, and I'm afraid my big plans have kept me from posting anything less than my ideal. That ends tonight.
Introducing . . . MEATLOAF.
Let me assure you that while there are no pretty pictures to entice you to try this recipe, it is so worth your time. I've spent a few years tweaking the meatloaf I remember eating as a kid. Tonight, I struck gold. There are no fancy ingredients. It's very savory and meaty - crusty on the outside and tender and juicy inside. The glaze puts it over the top. I shared a few slices with my parents (they always stroke my culinary ego), and they raved and insisted I record the recipe immediately before I forget any of it.
Here's what you'll need for enough meatloaf to feed 4-6 people:
Meatloaf Ingredients:
1 lb. very lean ground beef (I buy 94/6)
1 package of Reduced Fat Jimmy Dean Sausage
2 ribs of celery chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
1 small onion chopped fine (about 1/2 cup)
1 large egg
2 heaping Tablespoons tomato paste
3 Tablespoons milk
1/2 sleeve saltine crackers (about 18 crackers)
1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
Fresh black pepper
Here's what you do:
Step 1) Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and spray it lightly with cooking spray.
Step 2) Heat a Tablespoon of olive oil in a saute pan on medium high. Cook the onion and celery for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until they soften and the onion becomes translucent. Season the veggies with 1/2 tsp. of salt and some pepper. Set them aside to cool.
Step 3) Crush the saltines to a fine crumb. I use my blender, but you could mash them up in a plastic bag using a rolling pin too. Season the crumbs with the remaining 1 tsp. salt and lots more pepper.
Step 4) In a small bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and tomato paste. The paste will stay pretty lumpy. That's okay.
Step 5) In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, sausage, the cooled veggies, the saltine crumbs, and the liquids. Mix together with your hands (I wear disposable gloves for this part) until all the ingredients are fully incorporated. Divide the meat into two equal halves and shape them in loaves. I make mine look a bit like huge oblong hamburger patties. Set the meatloaves on the cooking sheet and begin making the glaze.
This is what you need for the glaze:
Glaze Ingredients:
1 1/2 c. ketchup
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 Tablespoons brown sugar
3/4 tsp. dry mustard powder
Step 6) Whisk the ingredients for the glaze together in a small bowl. Spoon about 1/4 cup of glaze (save the remaining glaze) over each meatloaf and pop them into the heated oven. Bake for 45-50 minutes until crusty on the edges.
Step 7) Make a loose foil tent over the meatloaf and allow it to rest for about 8-10 minutes before plating and serving. This is a great time to heat the remaining glaze in a small saucepan until bubbling or in the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Serve it alongside the meatloaf for dipping.
FYI:
You can make one large meatloaf if you prefer. I like the two little ones, because they bake a little faster and there's more crusty outside to go around. Bake the large meatloaf a full hour to 1 hour and ten minutes. I check the temperature of my meatloaf with an instant read meat thermometer. Once it reaches 145-150 degrees in the center (the temp. will rise a bit while it rests) I call it good.
Tonight, we ate our meatloaf with fresh steamed green beans, fresh strawberries, and some dinner rolls. It was just right. However, who doesn't appreciate a plate of meatloaf and potatoes? I'm also pretty fond of buttered noodles on the side.
Enjoy!
1 comment:
We going to use the recipe to make meatballs - just so there will be more surface for the wonderful sauce. We loved what Lisa prepared. We'll let you know how the meatballs work.
Post a Comment