A COLLECTION OF AHLBORN FAMILY RECIPES


Friday, October 11, 2013

Fluffy Whipped Potatoes and Glazed Carrots

My sister got me thinking about this blog again this morning when she asked for my meatloaf recipe.  I directed her to this sadly neglected blog and remembered that I have two great sides for meatloaf (just in time for the cool fall weather) that really should be posted here.  Thanks for the encouragment Leslie.  Enjoy!

First the potatoes.  I found this recipe in an issue of Cook's Country magazine about a year ago.  I was intrigued by the author's introduction:

Most chefs and many cookbooks will tell you that anything but the gentlest treatment turns mashed potatoes into wallpaper paste.  My very own "Joy of Cooking" for one, sternly warns that "whipping or beating hard results in gummy potatoes." But while leafing through a 1950s cookbook not long ago, I came across a recipe that called for beating potatoes in the mixer for five minutes.  Indoctrinated by the "never whip" mantra, I was skeptical.  But a colleague confirmed that her own grandmother made whipped potatoes for Thanksgiving, and she swore that no mashed potato had ever tasted as fluffy and ethereal. - Kris Widican

My own parents whipped our mashed potatoes with a hand held electric egg beater all through my childhood with delicious results.  Somehow, in the years since leaving home, I'd become indoctrinated with the "no whip" method.  I've made plenty of rich, creamy (and rather heavy) hand mashed potatoes in that time, but I'm reconverted to whipped potatoes.  In fact, they're the only sort of mash I've made in more than a year.

Fluffiest-Ever Whipped Potatoes 
slightly adapted from Kris Widican of Cook's Country Magazine

Serves 8-10

4 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 cups whole milk (I've also used half-and-half with success)
8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1-2 cloves of garlic, cut into halves
2 teaspoons of salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1. COOK THE POTATOES (This is where I take some liberties from the original recipe.)

Magazine method: Place the potatoes in a colander and rinse under cold water for about 1 minute.  Fill a Dutch oven with 1 inch water.  Bring water to boil.  Place steamer basket in Dutch oven and fill with potatoes.  Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, until potatoes are tender, 20-25 minutes. Pour the contents of the Dutch oven into colander and return the potatoes to the dry pot.  Stir over low heat until potatoes are thoroughly dried, about 1 minute. 

My Method: Place the cut potatoes in a large pot or Dutch oven.  Cover with cold water so that the water level is a good inch above the potatoes.  Bring potatoes and water to a boil over medium high heat.  Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes just until fork tender.  Drain potatoes in a colander and return to the dry pot over very low heat.  Stir potatoes for 1-2 minutes until potatoes are dry.

2. WARM DAIRY (The original recipe does not call for garlic, but I like to infuse the milk with a hint of it. Also, the author adds the salt and pepper to the dairy now, but I prefer to season the potatoes after they are whipped.)

While the potatoes cook, heat the milk, butter and garlic in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, whisking until smooth, about 3 minutes; cover and keep warm.  Be sure to removed the garlic cloves before adding the dairy to the potatoes.

3. WHIP POTATOES

In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, break the potatoes into small pieces on low speed.  Add the milk mixture in a steady stream until incorperated.  Increase speed to high and whip until potatoes are light and fluffy and no lumps remain, about 2 minutes.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Alternately, you can use a hand held mixer and whip the potatoes in a large bowl.  This can be a little tricky as you add the dairy, but it's doable.  DO NOT use a food processor - the blades will make potato glue.  Blech.


Glazed Carrots
from Everyday Food May/June 2003

*This carrot recipe is a family and kid favorite that I've been making for years since finding it in a stack of magazines at the home of my mother-in-law.

Serves 4

1 1/2 pounds baby carrots (or about 9 large carrots peeled and cut into 2 inch lengths)
1/2 cup water
1 Tablespoon sugar
2 Tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. In a skillet, bring all the ingredients to a boil.
2. Reduce heat and simmer, partly covered, for 6 minutes.
3. Cook uncovered, over high heat, tossing often until liquid is absorbed and carrots are tender, 3-4 minutes.
4. Season with fresh pepper and serve warm.

No comments: