There was frost on my windshield this morning. I frowned as I considered scraping snow and ice off our cars all winter long. But then I tried to look on the bright side: the cooler weather has opened up all kinds of new meal possibilities! Soups and stews, roasts and lasagna, homemade breads baking in the oven! These are some of the things I shy away from in the summer, but that I go crazy for in the autumn and winter.
I started out my autumn cooking last week with chili - my easiest and laziest chili. It's Peter's favorite, and it requires no fresh produce or unusual seasonings. Aside from browning the ground beef, there's not much more to do than open some cans.
Since I don't like chunks of tomatoes, but I really like the flavor, I puree a can of S&W brand Mexican recipe stewed tomatoes and add it to the chili. A can of diced tomatoes would work just as well for less picky eaters than myself. I also always add a can of S&W chili beans in their sauce. This is the one can of beans you do not drain and rinse. Feel free to substitute black beans, kidney beans, or another favorite for the two cans of white beans. In theory, you could soak and cook your own beans, but that would entirely defeat the point of making lazy chili. Lastly, I swear by Kroger brand mild chili seasoning. It costs 49 cents at my local Smith's, and it's my favorite blend. The end.
*****
Lazy Chili
Feeds 4 hungry people
Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground beef
1 can Mexican recipe stewed tomatoes
1 can chili beans (pinto beans in a seasoned sauce)
2 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
1 packet of chili seasoning
1 cup frozen corn, optional
Directions:
Brown the ground beef in a pan until it is no longer pink, and drain the fat. Set aside for a moment. Open the stewed tomatoes and puree them in the blender. Combine the beef, tomato puree, beans, chili seasoning, and corn (if you choose) in a crock pot. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 2-3 hours. If you choose to cook the chili on the stove top, let it simmer and thicken for at least one hour, but keep an eye on it and stir occasionally.
Serve warm with your favorite toppings. I like tortilla chips and a little shredded cheese. Peter likes cheese, sour cream, and saltines. Our four-year-old refuses to eat any chili and opts for a bowl of cereal. But I hope you will try it.
*****
Next week's recipe: a slightly more impressive White Chicken Chili
No comments:
Post a Comment