A COLLECTION OF AHLBORN FAMILY RECIPES


Monday, June 28, 2010

More Banana Bread

Are you seeing a trend here? It's obvious that I'm more baker than cook. I love my carbs. One of these days, I will post something for the stove top, but Sister Ahlborn has been waiting for this recipe for three weeks now . . . sorry Mom.

Banana Bread from The America's Test Kitchen

Ingredients:

2 cups (10 oz.) all purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 large very ripe bananas, mashed well (about 1 1/2 cups)
6 Tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
2 large eggs
1/4 cup whole or low-fat plain yogurt  
(you can substitute sour cream, which I usually do because I always have sour cream in the fridge and hardly ever have plain yogurt.)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and chopped coarse (optional)

Directions:

1. Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. and grease a 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.

2. Whisk the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. In a medium bowl, whisk the mashed bananas, melted butter, eggs, yogurt, and vanilla together. Gently fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture with a rubber spatula until just combined (do not overmix - REALLY, do not overmix!) Fold in the walnuts is using. The batter will look thick and chunky.

3. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with just a few crumbs attached, about 55 minutes.

4. Let the loaf cool in the pan for 5 minutes then turn out onto a wire rack and let cool one hour before serving.

This is far and away my favorite banana bread ever. I avoid eating my bananas just so that I can let them go dark and bake this bread. Hope you like it too!

No comments: