A COLLECTION OF AHLBORN FAMILY RECIPES


Sunday, February 21, 2010

Wacky Cake

I have so many fond memories of Wacky Cake. According to Mom, the recipe was brought home from a scouting activity by one of her younger brothers. (She'll have to clarify that if I'm mistaken.) Wherever it came from, wacky cake was my favorite childhood treat for one simple reason: the batter. Because it is an egg-free recipe, it was the only batter that Mom allowed me to lick from the bowl. I liked it so much that she'd often spoon a little of it into one of the silver ice cream dishes and let me eat the tangy batter like pudding.

Traditionally, Mom frosted her Wacky Cake with a basic chocolate icing. I believe that she made it from cocoa powder, hot water, shortening/butter, vanilla, and powdered sugar. (Again, Mom, please clarify my mistakes.) I remember how lovely the cocoa powder smelled when Mom whisked it with a little hot water. It was rich and glossy, and I couldn't resist it. As soon as Mom turned her back, I dipped my finger into the bowl and quickly licked it clean. There was no hiding my thievery - my face said it all. Mom had not yet added the sugar. All she could do was laugh at my expression. I'd rather suck a lemon than eat another mouthful of unsweetened cocoa. I wonder how many of my siblings made this mistake as well?

These days, Mom prefers to top her wacky cake with a shell of dark chocolate. She sprinkles finely chopped or shredded chocolate over the hot cake and carefully spreads it over the surface when it has softened. She allows it to cool and harden before serving.

As kids and teens, Leslie and I enjoyed many a slice of leftover wacky cake Dorothy style - swimming in a bowl of cold milk. Dad couldn't stand to watch us eat it, but I suggest you try it. Immediately. Here's the recipe so you can get started:

WACKY CAKE
(makes one very large sheet cake)

Ingredients:
4 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 T. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 cups water
1 cup oil
3 T. white vinegar
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour an over-sized sheet cake pan. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, cocoa, soda, and salt. Add the remaining wet ingredients and whisk until smooth. Pour into the prepared pan and bake immediately for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.


*You could also make a standard 13x9x2 inch sheet cake plus a 9 inch round from the above recipe OR three 9 inch round cakes OR 36 cupcakes.

**I usually halve the recipe to make two rounds or 24 cupcakes.

1 comment:

Orem Oldsters said...

Great job and story Lisa. The wife of the Mission President in Greece wanted the recipe. Instead of just emailing her the one on our computer we directed her to "Ahlborneats". It has a fun story besides (and better directions). She loved it!