A COLLECTION OF AHLBORN FAMILY RECIPES


Thursday, March 18, 2010

Bread Baking

I know, I have not done well at keeping this blog current. I have not done well at keeping my clean laundry current either . . .

I would love to have more contributors, so if you're interested in making posts and/or sharing some recipes, please leave me a comment and I'll add you as an author pronto! In the mean time, here is a food related post I made on our family blog earlier this evening.

***********

My mom is an expert at making the best homemade, 100% whole wheat bread in the world. Up until now, I've managed to avoiding making it for myself. Sneaking a loaf of warm bread was one of the advantages of living so close to Mom and Dad. I went without this bread for two years while my parents lived in Germany during their first LDS mission. I only lasted four months into this mission before getting desperate and brave enough to try to make some myself.

Now, let me be clear, this bread is not difficult to make, but it does take precision. My parents even made a DVD of the whole process so that one can learn Mom's tricks and techniques. So, I was super proud when my dough reached the perfect elasticity. I was thrilled when the unbaked loaves rose and domed high above the pans. I beamed when Andy came into the kitchen as the bread was baking and sighed, "What's dat good smell?" I even called my Mom on Skype* so that I could show off my perfect bread as I pulled loaf after loaf from the hot oven.

Perfect in every way but one . . .



. . . I forgot to grease the pans. My pride got the best of me. How could I do everything right and then forget to grease the pans??? Mom watched and smiled from my computer screen as I sawed out each loaf with a plastic knife (so as not to damage her magic bread pans). The bread tasted divine. The crumb was perfect, and the crust was golden.

But I'll admit, I was a little bummed that they weren't perfectly pretty.

No comments: