This is a carrot cake for the masses. Even people who claim that they don't like carrot cake love it. My sis-in-law, Sheri, led me to the recipe on the Pioneer Woman Cooks website. Here's a handy link if you'd like a printer friendly version. However, I've shared the recipe with a few friends, and they've had mixed results. Some of the directions are a bit vague, including the baking times and temperature. I try to clarify on those things below, but it still may take a little trial and error because every oven is has a mind of its own. I do suggest that you grate your carrots on a box grater -1 cup of finely grated and one cup of coarsely/large grated. Also, don't pack the carrot shavings into the measuring cup. Measure them loosely like flour, not tightly like brown sugar. That's all I've got, so good luck!
SIGRID'S CARROT CAKE
Ingredients:
FOR THE CAKE
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable or canola oil
4 whole eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 cups grated carrots
FOR THE FROSTING
1 stick butter, softened
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 pound powdered sugar
1 cup finely chopped pecans (optional)
Directions:
Whisk together the sugar and oil. Beat in the eggs one at a time. In another bowl, sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and soda, and cinnamon. Add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and combine. Stir in the carrots and mix well. Pour into a greased and floured pan and bake at 350 degrees until done, 25-50 minutes* depending on your pan. Cool completely before frosting.
*I usually bake this as a sheet cake for 25 minutes. I've also made it in rounds, which take more like 30-35 minutes, and as a 9x13 pyrex which ends up taking 35- 40 minutes. I've never tried it as a bundt, but I am guessing that it would take at least and hour in my oven. Hope that helps!
Frosting:
Cream together butter, cream cheese, and vanilla extract. Mix in 1 pound of powdered sugar and blend, then mix in the nuts. Spread over the carrot cake.
Lisa's Alternate, Preferred Cream Cheese Frosting:
Don't get me wrong, I love traditional cream cheese frosting, but it can be a little much on a thin sheet cake. This is a lighter textured, less sweet cream cheese frosting that both Pete and I prefer for this cake. You will need:
1 (8 oz.) package of cream cheese, softened
1/3 - 1/2 cup granulated sugar (depending on how sweet you like it)
1 cup heavy cream, very cold
1 tsp. vanilla extract
Beat the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth. With the mixer on low, slowly pour in the heavy cream. Increase the speed to medium and whip until the frosting is light and fluffy. Spread over the carrot cake. Cover and keep leftovers in the fridge.
1 comment:
Dorothy made one for Institute night and the kids loved it!
Post a Comment