A COLLECTION OF AHLBORN FAMILY RECIPES


Saturday, May 1, 2010

Buttermilk Syrup

I don't have any great stories about this syrup. I probably shouldn't tell you that Lily and I eat it by the spoonful, but we do. It's that yummy. The acidic buttermilk reacts with the baking soda to create a foamy vanilla caramel syrup that's heavenly on a thick slice of cinnamon French Toast. Or pancakes. Or right off of your finger. But let it cool a bit before you go dipping your fingers into the pan. It's really hot syrup.

BUTTERMILK SYRUP

Ingredients:

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 Tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:

Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Add the sugar, corn syrup, and buttermilk, and bring the syrup to a gentle rolling boil over medium high heat. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sugar has dissolved and the syrup begins to thicken. Remove the pan from heat and whisk in the baking soda and vanilla. Serve immediately.

No comments: